29 9 / 2014
When you are 13 years old,
the heat will be turned up too high
and the stars will not be in your favor.
You will hide behind a bookcase
with your family and everything left behind.
You will pour an ocean into a diary.
When they find you, you will be nothing
but a spark above a burning bush,
still, tell them
Despite everything, I really believe people are good at heart.
When you are 14,
a voice will call you to greatness.
When the doubters call you crazy, do not listen.
They don’t know the sound
of their own God’s whisper. Use your armor,
use your sword, use your two good hands.
Do not let their doubting
drown out the sound of your own heartbeat.
You are the Maid of Untamed Patriotism.
Born to lead armies into victory and unite a nation
like a broken heart.
When you are 15, you will be punished
for learning too proudly. A man
will climb onto your school bus and insist
your sisters name you enemy.
When you do not hide,
he will point his gun at your temple
and fire three times. Three years later,
in an ocean of words, with no apologies,
you will stand before the leaders of the world
and tell them your country is burning.
When you are 16 years old,
you will invent science fiction.
The story of a man named Frankenstein
and his creation. Soon after you will learn
that little girls with big ideas are more terrifying
than monsters, but don’t worry.
You will be remembered long after
they have put down their torches.
When you are 17 years old,
you will strike out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig
one right after the other.
Men will be afraid of the lightening
in your fingertips. A few days later
you will be fired from the major leagues
because “Girls are too delicate to play baseball”
You will turn 18 with a baby on your back
leading Lewis and Clark
across North America.
You will turn 18
and become queen of the Nile.
You will turn 18
and bring justice to journalism.
You are now 18, standing on the precipice,
trembling before your own greatness.
This is your call to leap.
There will always being those
who say you are too young and delicate
to make anything happen for yourself.
They don’t see the part of you that smolders.
Don’t let their doubting drown out the sound
of your own heartbeat.
You are the first drop of a hurricane.
Your bravery builds beyond you. You are needed
by all the little girls still living in secret,
writing oceans made of monsters and
throwing like lightening.
You don’t need to grow up to find greatness."
You are stronger than the world has ever believed you to be.
The world laid out before you to set on fire.
All you have to do
You guys Matt Nathanson likes my poem that is like Top 10 coolest things that could happen.
23 9 / 2014
First you wake in disbelief, then
In sadness and grief and when you wake
For the last time, the forest you’ve been
Looking for will turn out to be
Right in the middle of your chest
-Dean Young, “Side Effects”
23 9 / 2014
Sonosuke Sato’s advice to Kiyoko Nagase:
“TREAT POETRY LIKE LOVE”
23 9 / 2014
in the summer your eyes were
a field of blooming marigolds.
now september is here and
i don’t know you anymore.
-V.M., from “Please Do Not Die On Me: A Love Letter”
19 9 / 2014
"I want to be with those who know secret things
or else alone."
18 9 / 2014
PLACES YOU SHOULD NEVER KISS
1. In a Men’s Warehouse, not the suit store. A warehouse where they make lousy men.
2. Conservative foam party. Not right wing conservative, conservative as in the soap is rationed so no one gets too fucky.
3. On the Peter Pan ride at Disneyland. Don’t kiss while fake flying. Notice how you move over the darkness. Pay attention to tiny London. Tiny London is paying attention to you!
4. At a gun range after happy hour. Everyone you love is one bad joke away from leaving you for good.
5. In a city that doesn’t get its own jokes.
6. Um. Never kiss someone who is searching for a word and tells you they are blanking. They will think you are putting words in their mouth. It’s much worse.
7. In front of someone in Malibu with a sense of humor.
8. Inside of a literal white Russian. It must break you.
9. At a vegan BBQ while everyone compares the glisten of their fake meat sweats around the L.E.D. campfire, embracing the future, embracing a lack of joy until that becomes joy. Do not kiss them until they admit they are meat.
10. In a gay western seafood bar called Fish and Chaps.
11. You should never kiss someone who is trying to enjoy a churro. A churro is just a donut with a boner."